According to research, about 20% of newborns are suffering from baby acne (another name neonatal acne). These acne appearances like miniatures red dot or white pimples. These catalysts spoil the baby’s smooth skin and stunning beauty.
These tiny blemishes or pimples, generally, pop up from the birth in a few weeks. Don’t worry about because it’s temporary and easily resolves. In this article, you learn how about baby acne and what is the treatment.
What is baby acne?
The baby acne develops your baby’s chin, face or body and seems like white bumps or red. It is a temporary situation.
There is a discrepancy between infantile acne and baby acne. Baby acne is a common phenomenon and develops in a newborn baby. Most of the cases, this acne vanishes in own way and need not to treatment.
Infantile acne, on the other hand, is not a common phenomenon. It develops in a baby’s body when the age of the baby is two months or older. Typically, in between two months to six months.
Infantile acne lasts longer than baby acne and sometimes cause scarring. Baby acne vanishes without scarring, but infantile acne leaves trace. May need a prescription in case of infantile acne.
What causes baby acne?
As per researcher, maternal or infant hormones cause this acne.
During the pregnancy, the mom’s hormones circulate in the baby’s bloodstream. These hormones motivate baby’s inactive oil-producing glands, causing pimples to pop up on the chin, forehead, eyelids and cheeks.
What conditions may resemble baby acne?
Eczema, erythema toxicum and milia may look like the baby’s acne condition.
It usually appears on the baby’s face with red bumps and also shows on the elbow or knee. Its appearance is yellow and crusty. It becomes infected and hamper the baby’s crawling.
Erythema toxicum is less dangerous and vanishes in own way after a few days. It emerges as a rash, tiny bumps, or red blotches. It develops in baby’s face, chest, or limbs.
It appears when dead skin cells are grasped in little pockets of skin. After a few days of birth, it appear and do not need treatment.
How to get rid of baby acne.
You don’t much act like infant acne. Nevertheless, a few tips are given below-
- Wash your baby’s sensitive skin with mild soap and water. Don’t wash your baby’s face more than one time.
- Resistance from the over scrubbing the face. Because, this irritate the over-active oil glands. Patting or wiping down mildly when you wash the baby’s skin.
- Use terry bath towel to completely dry the skin and pat mildly.
- Do not use oily lotions as it worsens the condition. You may use non-oily cream instead of oily lotions.
- It is harmful for your baby squeezing the bumps.
- Shun the acne care products meant for adults.
- For medical treatment, you may use over the counter remedy according to doctor prescription.
Proper hygiene avoids acne from the very beginning, You ensure your baby’s well-being by wearing soft cloth regularly and cleaning the face, neck and diaper areas. Thank you for your patience. Best of luck!